Thursday 27 August 2009

Better late than never!

I had poppy and love in the mist seeds from my in-laws' garden last year. But, I forgot to sow them when I was supposed to, and only scattered them after all my self-sown poppies were already flowering.
Well, look whats growing in my garden right now...

A bonsai poppy? These poppies, when growing in my mother-in-law's garden, are huge and gorgeous and leave those great big fat opium seed pods. I threw the seeds in the pot with my Japanese maple, and the plants have grown really dinky. Do you think they knew whose house they were at, lover of all things teeny tiny? This one's diameter is 15mm!

My sister-in-law gave me a shade loving climbing hydrangea, and soon after planting it I noticed a dicotyledonous seedling growing right next to it. My plant knowledge is not that great, but I can tell a weed from a vegetable looking seedling, so I consulted my neighbour, who declared it either a courgette or a member of the pumpkin family. I transplanted it to where it would have more room to grow, and now look! Flowers! I can't wait to see what it is.


The love in the mist has grown quite happily where I sowed it. True, the little plants are quite delicate and small, but at least it still bore flowers!

And then my passion fruit, which very nearly didn't make it after our terrible snowfall in February, slowly responded to my careful pruning and has taken over the wall where it has a trellis to climb along. But, alas, I've had no flowers, probably due to the huge knock it took just when things were getting ready to start growing and blossoming. But, can you see what I saw this morning? Four little flower buds along the stem!


Here's another shot of my dinky poppies. These ones are a bit bigger than the first one, and I have no idea what colour they'll be. Shall I show you when they open?


And then, off the topic completely, but still better late than never, some more shots of Wales. I don't have a fancy photo stitching programme so these are all done by hand in photoshop. I also didn't shoot on a tripod so hence the fact they go up and down a bit.
The first is our camp site. That's our tent on the far left, and the children's play area was behind the row of trees on the far right, so we were quite happy to have got the pitch we did get!
The second is from our walk beyond the harbour at Saundersfoot...the beach is in the third shot, and if you imagine walking round the right hand side and cross the little stream at low tide, you'll get to the rocky area. It was a beautiful corner of the world to camp in, and while Pembrokeshire isn't considered terribly Welsh by the Welsh, it was beautiful and very Welsh as far as we could tell!

1 comments, come on, leave me some love!:

Mercedes Spencer @ Liberty Biberty 28 August 2009 at 01:01  

Hi Jo,
Love all the plants especially the love in a mist. The tinier the better!
Mercedes

About Me

My photo
Mother, wife, photographer, crafter, scrapbooker, painter of murals, dabbler. Sometimes in that order, sometimes reversed! Trying to juggle all of them and having a ball in the process.

My Photography Site

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About This Blog

Translate

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP