Wednesday 18 November 2009

My Little Hopalong Casualty

That's what a broken and rotated baby toe looks like on a four year old's foot. Ouch! With sock imprints for added texture, LOL!


This is what said four year old looks like watching one of the Harry Potter movies I bought him and his big sis as a treat for being so brave and as a bribe for not making one more complaint while I did my desperately overdue grocery shop (I usually shop on Mondays!)

Yesterday, although fully dressed for school and happy to go, by the time we were ready to leave the house he'd got all shivery and tired, so we dropped Holly off and then headed to a friend for coffee. While there, he somehow managed to tip the very heavy piano stool over which landed on his foot/toe.

You know when you hear a scream and you just know? And then when you pry their hand off their foot and you see, and you just know? Yep, there was no doubt in my mind what he'd just managed to do, and that we had to head on down to A&E as soon as possible. He was very brave, and thankfully fell asleep so was not aware of the fact that we were there for nearly four hours in total. Why oh why couldn't the nurse have made the decision to send us to X-ray earlier? Why was it only the doctor, who saw us after two hours waiting, that could send us, where we proceeded to wait another 40 minutes or so? Only to then have to wait for the doc to get a minute to look at the X-ray, and then come and tell us that yes, he has indeed broken the middle phalanx of his baby toe, and rotated the toe outwards, and that the only treatment is to strap it to his other toes, keep the weight off it and keep giving pain relief as needed.

Of course, Liam thought it terribly exciting to be going to the hospital, and very proudly tells people now that he's broken his bone, and I think he's liking being carried everywhere and getting Harry Potter dvd's as treats! He also thought it cool to have to wear a face mask because he had flu symptoms. I'm not sure how much he's going to like our visit to the fracture clinic tomorrow morning, where I hear the wait may be just as long.

4 comments, come on, leave me some love!:

Lizzie 18 November 2009 at 17:14  

Poor Mum... what a day for you! I hope his foot isn't giving him any pain though and that the fracture clinic can see you quickly.

Mercedes Spencer @ Liberty Biberty 18 November 2009 at 20:08  

Poor little Liam, I know what that's like, I broke a toe a few years ago and the bruising was horrific! The kids at Noah's kindy were fascinated with the foot x-ray though.
Hope your next wait isn't so long!
Mercedes

dalesdreams 19 November 2009 at 05:34  

Awww, poor guy! Poor mom!

I recognise that cry as well, had one of those over the summer. A mom just knows instinctively about her children.

Hoping he has a speedy recovery for his sake as well as yours, there are only so many movies... ;)

Mom 19 November 2009 at 09:09  

I hope this is not continue, (remember his tongue). If you remember in the first six years of your life, we use to call you an accident waiting for a place to happen. Luckily you outgrew that! It is amazing how when you hear a cry of your child you just know, I can remember being on the phone to your dad and I heard you cry, 10 minutes later we were on the way to the hospital for stitches. Give him a big hug and kiss from us all in Africa!

About Me

My photo
Mother, wife, photographer, crafter, scrapbooker, painter of murals, dabbler. Sometimes in that order, sometimes reversed! Trying to juggle all of them and having a ball in the process.

My Photography Site

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About This Blog

Translate

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP