Thursday 25 March 2010

Good old South African party treats!

As kids growing up in South Africa, our parties were very different to the ones my kids have now we live in England. Back then, we would arrive to a table laden with party treats, and after playing the games we'd sing happy birthday, blow out the candles, grab a paper plate full of birthday cake and sweets and crisps and ice cream cones made to look like clown hats filled with sweets, and scoff the lot until our parents came to take us home. Occassionally, the party treats would have been put into boxes or bags which we could take home with us if there was anything left to take. Here in England, not only are the kids treated to a sit down arrangement of snacks, sandwiches, cupcakes, and sweets, but the birthday cake is cut and wrapped and placed into party bags with even more sweets and treats for the kids to take home! I guess it's fun being a kid at an English birthday party, but I loved the good old fashioned South African way of doing things!

For the final event in the month long fundraiser at my kids school - the long awaited Bake Sale - I made the Clown Hats filled with Smarties, and then couldn't resist a batch of cupcakes with pastel coloured strawberry flavoured icing with glitter to match! My mom sent a package with a friend who visited my sister, and in it was edible glitter in orange, lime and white ( I had the blue from my last batch) so thanks to Sainsbury's Fresh Ideas mag for the idea, the kids each have something different to take in!

6 comments, come on, leave me some love!:

Mercedes Spencer @ Liberty Biberty 25 March 2010 at 17:45  

Love the cone clown hats idea and as usual your cupcakes are perfection!
Mercedes

DollMum 25 March 2010 at 23:46  

I remember those clown hats!!! we had them at my party once. I think the base was made with Marie biscuits. We also had orange jelly in orange skins cut into slices - did you have that too?

Did you ever play the party game "I wrote a letter to my love and on the way I dropped it..."?

Happy memories - thank you for the reminder.

Jill 26 March 2010 at 00:42  

I love those colors-- both on the little hats, and the beautiful cupcakes!
Hugs,
Jill

Mom 26 March 2010 at 12:49  

Your cones look great. Can you remember Chico the clown at the Spur? I am glad you are enjoying the glitter. I will have to stock up on colours for when I visit next time.

My Realitty 27 March 2010 at 01:04  

I made clown hates for one child's birthday long ago but the had a scoop of icecream asthe head, I think Baskin Robbins does it now.
Yum, cupcakes! C

C 28 March 2010 at 12:45  

Don't worry Jo, the old-fashioned style party still reigns supreme in our house! Even for the grown-ups. Love your edible glitter and those lovely clown cones. Enjoy the weekend. Love Carol x

About Me

My photo
Mother, wife, photographer, crafter, scrapbooker, painter of murals, dabbler. Sometimes in that order, sometimes reversed! Trying to juggle all of them and having a ball in the process.

My Photography Site

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About This Blog

Translate

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP