Sunday 7 March 2010

To Trim or Not to Trim?

I've been busy this weekend! I decided to get all the gingerbread trim out, sand it and paint it white, as I can't make a decision about it without getting it ready. I love the trim on the front roof next to the window, and on the sides where the roof joins at the peaks. What I can't decide about is the standing up bits - the little heart shaped trim along the top edge of the roof and the 'people' shaped bits. In person, when I first put it up, Holly and I both said "No! Definitely without."

But then, I look at the photos, and think, "Hmm, maybe with?" What do you think? Do you like it? Do you think it's too big and looks odd on the house?

Obviously, if I decide not to use it, I'll need to fix the roof apex and maybe put some 'lead flashing' on, and yes, touch up all those bits where the wood is showing through!

What I am loving is using my Club Little House boat shelf outside as a potting shelf! I can't wait to get some grass and paving stones down, I think the house will look so sweet with a little patch of green. I've also taken Amy's wonderful little garden goodies out of their box for the first time ever.
I'm also super excited to have finally put some of Mercedes' gorgeous birdhouses in place - and just in time for spring! Now all I need are some plants... I love the daffodils that Linda made, I need to find out what kit she used.

Oh, and did you notice something else I've done? Look at the windows ;-)

13 comments, come on, leave me some love!:

Mom of Three 7 March 2010 at 20:10  

Hi Jo, my two cents worth is that the trim is big, but the houes looks incomplete without it - so no help at all really. I am in awe of how detailed everything is - it's wonderful.

Jill 7 March 2010 at 20:53  

I love how you used your Club Little House goodies! I have been saving my boat shelf for a beach cottage, but I like how you used it for the garden. Amy's littles look great on it! I have to confess, mine are still sitting cute in the original box, but maybe not for long!
Hugs,
Jill

Kathi 7 March 2010 at 21:02  

Your little house is just too cute.
I like it best without the roof trim.
It does need something up there though... Maybe you could cut the trim shorter?

Thmini2 7 March 2010 at 21:05  

I like it better without the trim. I just am not that fond of that kind of trim on houses, so I'm probably not much help. I really LOVE the bike in the front yard!!!
I also love the boat shelf and items with it.

Mercedes Spencer @ Liberty Biberty 7 March 2010 at 21:32  

Hi Jo,
The roof top trim does look a little bulky but then the house looks a bit naked without it. Maybe you could find something else?
LOVE the boat shelf and Amy's goodies, I think the outdoor area is going to look perfect!
Mercedes

Norma Bennett 7 March 2010 at 21:53  

I think the biggest problem with the trim is that it looks totally out of scale, way way too big. I like it without, it does change the character, looks a little more 'demure' perhaps. However it would be interesting to see you it goes with a smaller trim if you particularly like the idea of it in principle.

All the outdoor accessories are wonderful, recognised Mercedes's birdhouses right away :)

Is that a blind I detect in the upstairs window??

miniacollection 8 March 2010 at 07:04  

I love your boat house shelf, it's super and all the details ...
Everything is perfect.
Geneviève

Mom 8 March 2010 at 12:21  

I must agree that I would go without the trim on top. Around the edge it looks lovely. I also love all the garden bits,

C 8 March 2010 at 13:42  

I agree with those who say that the trim is too big for the house and too 'dominating'. I know you can get smaller trim which might be worth while looking at. Love all your little accessories. Carol xox

Jo 8 March 2010 at 15:20  

Thanks for all your input! I have decided to do a ridge tile along the apex, to finish it off nicely, and leave the trim off. The little roof of the porch would have needed something if the main roof had trim, so this way I can give it and the main roof ridge tiles and be done!

Carey 10 March 2010 at 22:19  

Your little house is beautiful. I love doll houses and miniatures also. Right now I am making the Bunny's work shop. Come on over and visit me when you have some time.
Carey

DollMum 10 March 2010 at 23:33  

I think you have made the right decision - that trim is just too big, though pretty. You've made amazing progress with the house - it looks great.

Lynne 14 March 2010 at 19:56  

Jo,
Good choice to leave off the roof trim- my eye went straight to that.

Without that trim, I love the way my eye is drawn right to the little red door. So welcoming!

Love that you are using the boat shelf for the garden.

About Me

My photo
Mother, wife, photographer, crafter, scrapbooker, painter of murals, dabbler. Sometimes in that order, sometimes reversed! Trying to juggle all of them and having a ball in the process.

My Photography Site

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

About This Blog

Translate

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP